Review of:  Snowed Under (A Maggie McDonald Mystery)

Mary Feliz





You'll want some warm cider while reading the amazing wintry descriptions!

Reviewed in the United States on June 15, 2020

I liked a lot about this cozy mystery - admittedly jumping into the series with this installment (book #6), as I loved the cute cover so much! And I love a cozy winter setting. The author definitely didn't disappointment - her descriptions of the setting are truly amazing, and she is definitely a gifted writer! You'll be longing for warm cider and a fleece blanket right away. The protagonist (Maggie) and her best friend are fully fleshed-out characters and I liked that they didn't always get along, but had normal emotions and reactions. Their storylines also were developed over the course of this book, and it really made me want to read more of the backstory in the earlier books, and also continue to see what Maggie and those in her world do next! It was also interesting as most cozies have a romance angle, but here the protagonist is married with 2 teenage boys. I would have liked to either have them figure more in the actual story, or be left out altogether in favor of a romantic intrigue for Maggie. Also, I had a hard time keeping track of the characters and several of them seemed interchangeable and/or showed up oddly at the very end of the book for no real purpose that I could see (the additional detectives, in particular). I didn't quite understand the characters' motivations at the very end when the killer was revealed, and found myself longing for a more complete ending with some sort of a twist! However, the story was so well-written and it felt like I could picture every scene so clearly that I was right there myself! This is a good clean, cozy mystery and a real treat. I plan to read more. For fans of this genre, it reminded me of the earlier Lucy Stone books by Leslie Meier, which is in itself a huge compliment! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment