Review of: Murder in the Reading Room (A Book Retreat Mystery)

Ellery Adams





This is a cozy not to be missed!!

Reviewed in the United States on June 19, 2019

First, I love cozy mysteries and have been reading them for years. I actually discovered Ellery Adams probably 15 years ago when she wrote the Hope Street Church trilogy as Jennifer Stanley (which I loved) - then went on to her series beginning with Carbs & Cadavers as JB Stanley. I've read a LOT of cozies by a lot of authors over the years, and Ms. Adams has remained one of my favorites. And so I do not say this lightly, but Murder in the Reading Room is probably the VERY best, or tied for very best, book I have ever read in this genre. I actually had not even read any of the preceding books in the Book Retreat series, but since I wasn't familiar with it I jumped right in with the newest. Holy moly, I should have been holding onto my seat - it was absolutely riveting from the 1st page and I have never done this before, but I actually took time off work to keep reading it! There was such a fabulously shocking twist that I gasped out loud in public! I honestly think Ms. Adams keeps getting better, and that is saying something. The foundational story couldn't be more imaginative or alluring, and the plotting in this book is brilliant. The characters, the settings, etc. made you feel like you were right there in the middle of the action. And the action was non-stop -- superb pacing, gorgeously evocative writing. Needless to say, I'll read the prior the books and every one hereafter. If you have a background in classic literature and/or history, the references and symbolism drip off the pages. Ms. Adams is probably one of the most educated mystery writers out there today, and I found myself inspired to conduct my own research into several of the topics touched upon in this book. Fascinating. The ending of the book couldn't have been more perfect or beautiful - I even cried. It was just so right!

No comments:

Post a Comment