Review of: In Peppermint Peril (A Tea & Read Mystery)

Joy Avon





This should be made into a movie!!! Charming with heartwarming ending!!

Reviewed in the United States on January 5, 2019

I absolutely loved this book - a protagonist that is immediately likable, a setting that is picturesque and beautifully described, a smart and well-crafted plot, and a holiday romance!! This book was was the perfect holiday read for me this season - the author's inclusion of subtle references to "Clue" as well as classic novels kept me smiling throughout. The descriptions of each setting were so amazing and on-point I felt like I could honestly be in the conservatory of the Hall myself, smell the scent of evergreens, and feel the chill of the winter frost!! The plot was beautifully crafted, and everyone has a secret (of course!!!). This being said, I was left wondering about Callie's backstory - her family, and Aunt Iphy's role in her life. There is a lot of speculation in this book, some of which I think is nice as it shows us the thoughts of the people in the town and opens up more ideas, but at times it seems a little too forced. Also, I would have liked had the characters been fleshed out a bit more - I couldn't understand why Callie would be friends with Sheila, for example, or defend Peggy. I'd like to learn more about Falk as well and why he seemed to hold so many grudges. This being said, I was really touched to see how some of the characters grew and matured because of what happened to them, and how relationships became strengthened in the end. The way the story comes together was a *total* surprise, and I am applauding Ms. Avon!! I could not believe it, but I actually had tears in my eyes because not only was the denouement completely unexpected, but the most beautiful culmination to a story, ever. This one will exceed your Christmas dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment