Review of:  In Cold Chocolate (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery)

Dorothy St. James





Intrigue, romance, the beach, and chocolate - what more can you ask for??!

Reviewed in the United States on November 11, 2018

This is actually the 1st book I have read in the series, and definitely will pick up the previous & future books!! I thought it looked like a cute read, but really surpassed my expectations. The writing is top-notch, and I loved the descriptions of the setting and felt like I was actually there and could smell the salt from the ocean on the breeze! The plot was intricately woven, with lots of crafty red herrings. I really enjoyed learning about Penn and her back-story, and didn't feel lost by not having read the prior books. Her story is definitely not the usual stereotype for most cozies - it is very unique and I'm really intrigued to find out how it will all come together in future books. I also absolutely love the supporting cast of characters - Althea, Bertie, Bubba, the Detective, Ethel, Harley, etc. and the additions they each bring to Penn's life and world. Ms. St. James does a great job at fleshing out these characters, while leaving us with some first impressions of others whose stories are yet to be fully revealed (Jody, the Maybanks, etc.). I highly recommend this book - the author is a gifted story-teller and the book took me by surprise by surpassing my expectations so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment