Review of:  The Spook in the Stacks (A Lighthouse Library Mystery)

Eva Gates




Absolutely charming - worth the read!!

Reviewed in the United States on July 1, 2018

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical picking up this book, as there are already multiple cozy mystery series out there that are also set in libraries. Could this one offer anything new? The answer is - yes! I found this book absolutely charming and appreciated the quick pace - I couldn't put it down and read almost the whole thing in one sitting! The setting of the library in a lighthouse definitely captures the imagination and adds to the charm of the overall story. I haven't read anything else by this author, or the first 3 books in this series, so at first I had a little difficulty keeping the characters straight. However I was able to catch on quickly. I liked the presence of the cat (he was around just enough), and also the slight paranormal element, which I think was a nice addition to the story being set around Halloween (I don't think the series has a regular paranormal element). A few of the characters were a bit two-dimensional, but the author did a great job with plotting and developing an intriguing tale. Lucy, the protagonist, is instantly likeable, and the ending is satisfying with the promise of future tales. I will definitely be reading the rest of the books in this series and looking for the author's other series as well! Worth the read - I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment